In Guatemala, there are currently two ways to make a vehicle transfer:
- Personally before the SAT.
- Before a Guatemalan lawyer and notary duly authorized by the SAT to make electronic transfers .
In the first case, it should be taken into account that the process can be a bit cumbersome and tedious, due to the long queues at the SAT.
However, nowadays the electronic transfer allows you to make your transfer in a matter of minutes in front of a notary.
The Lawyer and Notary are empowered to perform the electronic transfer and in the same act delivers to you all the documents that support the transfer.
In other words, at that very moment you leave the Notary's office with the transfer completely executed and it will not be necessary for you to do any extra paperwork or wait in long lines at the SAT.
It is important to mention that although the electronic transfer facilitates the process considerably, it is necessary to comply with certain requirements, expenses and take into account some aspects that are detailed below.
Requirements and documents necessary for the electronic transfer.
- The buyer and seller must be present on the day of the electronic transfer.
- Original certificate of ownership.
- Original vehicle registration card.
- Original and photocopy of the IPR of the buyer and seller (individual person) if it is a legal entity, the appointment of the legal representative will be required.
- The buyer and seller must be solvent in the payment of their taxes, they must not have omissions in the vehicle nor omissions in their tax declaration and be solvent of the circulation tax.
- Q60 of the sat-8028 form (generated at the electronic time)
- Q120 of the sat-1186 form (generated at the electronic time)
- Fees are at the discretion of the Notary Public hired.
Payment of VAT depends on the model of the vehicle as follows
- Q1,000.00 for models from two to three years prior to the current year.
- Q500.00 for models of four or more years prior to the current year.
Documents to be delivered
Once the transfer has been completed, in the same act the notary delivers the following:
- Certificate of Ownership (Title)
- Registration card with the new owner's data
- Electronic decal.